The Delaware Geographic Alliance has worked since 1989 to strengthen geographic education in Delaware schools. Some specific accomplishments:
DGA FY2014 Annual Report — Executive Summary
- Alliance members helped to write high-quality content standards in social studies and science that include geography instruction in every grade K-12. Alliance members led the standards commission and participated in every facet of development.
- Members contributed to standards-based state assessment system that includes both geography content and performance as part of the social studies and science assessments. Alliance members served on the leadership team for the assessment, served as item writers and reviewers of items.
- Over the years, trained Alliance members have introduced thousands of classroom teachers to geography content and pedagogy through intensive summer institutes, graduate courses, workshops, and conference sessions.
- The Alliance supports classroom instruction in geography through newsletters and electronic communication, and websites to disseminate information and resources, distribution of free materials.
- Regular visits to university classrooms influence the formation of pre-service teachers.
- Alliance members develop and refine high quality instructional materials for use in Delaware classrooms.